Friday, February 2, 2018

Don't Pretend

Don't pretend you're heartbroken
Don't pretend you care about it at all
Don't sit there and cry and tell people that I'm bad
Don't tell them that I don't care
     That I never cared
You can't grieve and be the victim
And then say that it didn't matter
     That it wasn't important or worth it
Don't pretend that you drop everything for me
     Because we both know that I never let that happen
     I never put my guard down long enough
Don't pretend that I am never there for you
     When so many nights, I've listened to you rant and cry
     And threaten to end your life or run off to Paris
     Like Paris is heaven and the cure-all
Don't pretend that I matter to you
Don't pretend that you were my friend
Don't pretend that you listen and follow through on your promises
     Because I only ever walk away and sit in silence when I hurt
     Because that's how I deal with it
          I am not you, do not try to make me be
          This is who I am and what I need, so listen when I say it
          And stop saying that you always help me
          Because you never do, you just push and push and give me your darkness
     I don't want it
     I have enough of my own
So take your darkness back
And take all your poison too
Throw your poison down in the ground
Give your darkness to someone who has light
But don't pretend
Never pretend
That I didn't love you and give you what I had
And don't pretend that I had light to spare...

No comments:

Post a Comment